Engineers strive to obtain the ultimate of efficiencies and performance of the systems they build. As such, business leaders can learn a lot from how engineers manage their time, project, and team.
At SoapBox we follow the Agile development principles. The Agile Manifesto highlights the most important aspects of building great software as fast and efficiently as possible. It’s not a perfect system, but it seems to work for us right now. These development design principles can translate very well over to the business side of marketing and selling software.
- The primary measure of progress for a development team is working software. We achieve this goal by pushing code often and welcoming improvements and updates to build incredibly useful software for the clients. Welcoming these late changes can be what it takes to maintain your competitive advantage.
- Clear and open communication via daily scrums and bi-weekly demo days. It empowers the team by providing support, reiterating strategic goals, and creating an environment of trust and motivation for team members.
- Reflecting on the work done with the objective of becoming more effective, and adjusting behaviour for the next iteration.
- Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design enhances agility.
- Simplicity — the art of maximizing the amount of work not done — is essential.
These five principles of Agile development help us to push code early and often, and ensure that each member of the team is fully aligned to the same purpose.
Business needs can change fast. Target markets and marketing strategies shift as new data is uncovered about the market. Many businesses operate in markets where the ability to respond to changes in market conditions is critical to success. As mentioned, Agile methodologies structure projects so that working software is delivered in small increments. This allows time to shift direction and minimizes the investment in a lot of upfront work that won’t be delivered after all.
Efficiencies, performance, and the ability to shift focus and change direction quickly are essential for a business to succeed. Abiding by principles in the Agile Manifesto can help keep your business competitive in the marketplace.